Monday, January 30, 2012

and the Oscar goes to.....



Well, last night was just as amazing as I imagined it would be! Maybe even a little more so, if that’s possible.

Angela and Rachel and the entire Board of Directors of the Chamber really outdid themselves this year with the Winter Gathering and should be given a big Hollywood round of applause!  They transformed Deerfields/Beerfields into a true movie paradise last night!  Here, let me take you on a mind’s eye tour of what I saw…



As we approached, the outside big lights were on. The building first housed the local theatre many, many years ago before being turned into an eclectic art house/coffee bistro years ago. The red carpet was rolled out complete with velvet roping to keep back the “fans” (I had one that was supposed to show up but she got distracted). The limo was busy bringing people to the front door.

As each couple came in and registered at the desk, we were greeted by the Chamber, given our own little “movie pass” with our names on it to save our places at our tables and then grandly announced to the room over the loudspeaker and the “paparazzi” flashbulbs went off as our photos were taken. Oohh, already feeling like Haley Berry, who I was keeping in mind as who I was emulating for the my night at the Oscars! There were movie posters everywhere. A lifesize cardboard cutout of Mae West greeted us by the door, even!

To our delight, Kitty Merrill, president of the Chamber and a dear friend, invited us to sit at her table with her handsome and eloquent sidekick, Tom.  We were later joined by Theo and Dawn Hirshfeld and Dennis Lawrence and his wife.  Couldn’t ask for a more stimulating bunch of folks to sit with!

Our next stop was to mingle with the other “stars” and have some of the fine appetizers, which happened to be some amazingly huge shrimp served in overflowing iced bowls, very pretty display and accompanied by a very nice Kendall Jackson Reserve Chardonay or for those who preferred red, a Franciscan Napa Valley Merlot. 

We had a blast talking to everyone as they were announced. The whole place seemed just effervescent, felt like I was walking around in a bubbly bottle almost! Everyone was laughing, complementing each other on their choice of outfits, great big grins on their faces. Such fun for the end of January here!

When we finally all got settled in and seated, Angela, the Director, in her absolutely stunning floor length, beaded,  open back dress, got up on the podium and gave us a run down of the Chamber’s accomplishments for the year. Folks, we have a lot to be proud of in this little ole town.  People here really put a lot into making this “More than a One Horse Town”, let me tell you.  I sometimes forget, until we are at an event like this and we start ticking off all we’ve accomplished.  Buffalo, you should really be proud!

The first course arrived and was stunningly presented! Prosciutto crostini and stuffed dates with balsamic glaze. Each plate had an orchid for decoration! This was paired with Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc+Viognier.  Heavenly (Can you hear me singing?)

The second course was a wonderful greek salad, with fresh feta and lots of yummy greek olives (my fav) paired with Campanile Pinot Grigio.

The third and main course was braised tenderloin medallions in a truffle sauce with amazing cauliflower gratin and the famous “Occidental” potato pie paired with Franciscan Napa Valley Cabernet Savignon.

For our fourth and final course, we were served assorted gourmet cheese including a big slice of munster and a little havarti, amazing chocolate truffles, dipped strawberries and  some kiwis and pineapples that had been rolled in toasted coconut!  This was paired with Schlink Haus Anslesc, a wonderful dessert wine.

Rob certainly did not go away hungry as I kept giving him most of my food. Unfortunately, I’ve had this thing lately where I fill up after a few bites.  It’s been great for losing weight, although I really need to stop that, I’m running out of clothes, lol.  He’s enjoying it though, as he’s a human eating machine and never seems to get enough!

As we were finishing dinner, Angela approached again and began to give out “Oscars” for all sorts of things and she did it with grace and aplumb. No, not a plum!  We weren’t THAT pickled! We even got recognized as a couple!  We got an Oscar for the most loyal Chamber couple for always showing up for all the Chamber functions, through thick and thin, through all the years. That was really sweet! Rob and I love doing things for the town and really don’t need recognition, but it was nice to be honored! Rob used to on the Board and even served as Chamber President years ago.

All in all, it was just an incredible evening and I really have to hand it to the whole Chamber crew.  The Occidental Hotel and the chef did a bang-up job. Everything ran so smoothly and laughter filled the building.  I hope everyone else had as much fun as I did.  I took over 100 photos.

Which reminds me of one other person I need to mention….Lanna Wing. She’s another professional photographer here in town.  She does mostly portraits and is just the sweetest person. Any time someone asks us to photograph “humans”, I send them to her.  Well, last night, she was the roving photographer for the event.  She did an awesome job! She also had an area set up just like at the Oscars, with the sponsor backdrop, where you could get a “professional” picture taken that will be available for purchase on her website next week.  Did we do it?  Heck, yes! I think you can purchase any of the photos, actually.  Can’t wait to see them.

Well, folks, the nails are filed down, the make-up is washed off, the fake eyelashes are removed and my hair is back to its normal limp straightness.  It struck midnite and I’m back to being a cowgirl…Cinderella returned from the ball…but she hung onto her prince, who’s upstairs snoring off the numerous bottles of vino he consumed.  I’ll have this awesome experience to keep me warm through the dead of the snowy Wyoming winter…….

Now, where’s my cowboy hat…………..

No comments:

Post a Comment