Wednesday, June 27, 2012

fire madness....


View of the Cato fire



I woke up to burning in my throat and my eyes watering something fierce.  Thistle and I stepped outside for our morning “constitutional” and the air is just horridly thick with smoke here in town.  As soon as I sat down to my computer, I logged onto the Weather Service out of Riverton and found out that the Cato fire, which is just 13 miles north of town toward Ucross, had exploded to over 20,000 acres overnight. The winds last night were just horrendous and I imagine the fires spread with their help.

This is mind-numbing, folks.  I have friends out there who have ranches and I pray they are okay. Yesterday, the last I heard from one family, they were digging trenches around their property to try to save it and the scanner was so busy with volunteer firefighters shouting what they were doing to try to contain things, it was almost too much to bear to listen. Right now the scanner is eerily quiet and I don’t know what that means. At least the winds seem to have died down for the moment and according to the forecast will not get crazy like they were for the past few days.

There’s also another fire south of Tensleep that is over 500 acres and word just came down of a fire near Cooke City, MT.  Lordy, this is shaping up to being a terrifying summer already. As far as I know, we have no rain in the forecast, either. It’s just so sad.

On to happier news, though.  Yesterday, Sherry and I got together and went to the new Clear Creek Cantina for lunch.  We were very pleasantly surprised that the food was pretty darn good.  The menu was hilarious, I wish I could remember all the cool names they had for stuff, but whoever came up with them has a great imagination.  We only ordered appetizers this first time, choosing the “Nemo Nachos” and some fried pickles for our first adventure there. The nachos were awesome, seafood nachos with a great cheese sauce I haven’t tasted since I left Texas. They have quite an extensive menu and even have things that my Mexican food hating husband might enjoy. The Cantina says that it serves Tex-Mex and I think they may be right!  I’ll report back when I’ve sampled more of the menu.  They also completely redid the inside of the place, sprucing it up nicely.  The only bad thing I can say so far is that they haven’t got their delivery down yet, they seemed a bit ruffled and slow on service. But, they just opened a few days ago, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sherry and I are all set for the benefit for Peg, I do believe.  I got a few more donations yesterday, including a beautiful piece of stained glass art donated by my friend Debbie, that I might just have to bid on myself! Now, we just have to get everything down to the Moose and set up Friday evening and we’ll be all set for Saturday.  From the buzz around town, sounds like we’re going to have a decent turnout, fingers crossed! I have to go pick up two more donations today and I think I’ll be pretty much done.

This afternoon, we have our second “Cash Mob” happening down at the Treasure Chest downtown from 4-6.  The last one was such a success and I’m hoping this one is, too. The Treasure Chest is an antique store and I’m sure I can find something to purchase there this evening to help them along.

Well, I have a feeling I’ll be spending a lot of time indoors in the A/C today, trying to stay out of this smoke.  My thoughts will be with my neighbors out on the prairie and with those firefighters who are risking their lives in this horrible heat to save our precious land and livestock. Please keep everyone out West in your thoughts.  There are fires burning everywhere, it seems.


No comments:

Post a Comment